Sunday, June 23, 2013

A Dang Fine Water Girl

Yesterday there was a Rugby tournament here in town. Our men's and women's teams played 7's. For the uninitiated, during regular rugby season, ruggers play what is called 15's. In 15's. there are 15 players on each team, and the match lasts for 80 minutes. Each half is 40 minutes. It's a game of strength and endurance with elements of soccer and America Football. Hate to compare it to other sports at all because it really is in a class all its own. But for those who have never played, it helps to have a point of reference.

During the summer months, ruggers play a modified version of the game called 7's (which, by the by, will be included in the next summer Olympics. Yay. I will actually watch the games for once). In 7's there are 7 players on each team, and the whole game is a whopping 15 minutes long. There are 7 minute halves and a 1 minute break between halves. It's a rigorous and exhausting game.

I took my kids with me out to the pitch (that's what a rugby field is called), and we made a day of it.

I didn't play, but I did get to dress out. The coach would have played me. I just wasn't really up to it. Partly fear. Lack of confidence. Partly I wasn't feeling physically well yesterday. So, I didn't play. I ran water. But I sure enjoyed watching our girls play. The game is a blast to watch.

There was a fundraiser afterward. I put in an appearance and ate some BBQ. I didn't stay long. I tend to be incredibly socially awkward. I get so nervous and I feel very alone at things like that. I did VERY much appreciate the one person who went out of her way to talk to me for a bit. It meant a lot to me.

Anyway, the day was a lot of fun overall. I really can't believe more of my friends and family are not obsessed with this sport. Maybe seeing it in the Olympics will open people's eyes to how great this sport really is.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think we have any Rugby teams in my area, but I might have to Google it. Sounds like a blast.

    ReplyDelete