Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I Miss The 80's!

Wow. That crazy looking kid in the pic above was me a very long time ago. For the record, I did not have (nor have I EVER had)a mullet. My hair is just pulled back in barrettes. I think this pic was taken in 1988 around Thanksgiving. Long, long time ago!

*sigh* I miss the 1980's. I guess like my parents before me, who would be nostalgic for the era of their youth, I have nothing but love for the 80's. Except maybe the ratted out, big hair. Despite the above pic, I wasn't big into the boofy looking ratted hair. Or legwarmers. I didn't care for legwarmers.

Otherwise, I really miss that time period. I was watching Family Ties last night and admiring one of Alex P. Keaton's sweaters. Ah...Michael J. Fox. Talk about an icon of the 80's. I read somewhere that this week marks the 25th anniversary of Back To The Future. One of my all-time favorite movies...trilogies... I can't believe it has been 25 whole years since that movie came out. I can still remember the first time I saw it.

I find myself really liking the way Mallory (Justine Bateman) dressed on Family Ties. She was so pretty. I can remember thinking she was cool back when I was about ten. I happen to be the same age as Tina Yothers, who played the role of Jennifer on that show. And I wanted a guy just like Alex.Yeah, not too many people agree with me on that one, but I LOVED a man in a tie. Still do.

My favorite show of that era was The Facts of Life. I thought Lisa Whelchel was beautiful. And I thought those four girls were super cool. How Awesome it would be to go to Eastland and live with Mrs. Garrett! I still (to this day) love feathered hair. I think hair is prettier when it is blown dry. I still love pastels and soft sweaters.

I loved the way homes looked back then also. So warm and comfortable. I miss the warm woods that so many houses had back then. Think of the show Newhart. I loved the way that Inn looked. Now, I watch a lot of HGTV House Hunter shows...from House Hunters to Property Virgins...Those shows are great, but it always kind of amuses me when people talk about the "dated" kitchens or the "80's wallpapers."

I love granite counter tops as much as the next person, but there is something comforting in the familiar old styles that I grew up with. I don't mind wallpaper. I would probably update, but if I couldn't I wouldn't hate living with the dated look. Now, you can keep your paneling (I hated that stuff even back then), but I don't mind apples or ivy wallpaper. I can still rock a sweater vest if I take a mind to. I still remember the words to Footloose. I still have a pair of Levi's 501 button fly jeans. Of course, I can't wear them. Haven't been that small in several years.

But underneath the wrinkles and smattering of gray hair (just a strand or two), I am still the same girl. I still want some Ray Bans and a V-neck cable knit sweater! I would still tight-roll my jeans if I could get away with it!!! Just sayin'!

It still makes me laugh a little bit that the teenagers I know all look like they came forward in time from 1986, but they believe the style is all their own. Like they invented skinny jeans. Too funny.

Well, those days (and my youth) are gone forever. Now, I'm the 40-ish mom with the mini-van who can watch my old TV shows (Our House is on INSP now. :-D) and remember when I was the fresh-faced kid in baggy sweaters, high-top Nike's, and skinny jeans.

If the Lord tarries, there will be some other chick in 20 years lamenting her youth from the early 2000's. After all, none of us is immune to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment